Lemon bars are classic and refreshing but after jazzing it up with some ginger we are reaching a whole new level. It starts with a shortbread-style crust and have a silky smooth, slightly tart, sweet lemon custard on top. All they need is a dusting of powdered sugar! The perfect recipe for your next picnic, holiday tray or wedding cookie table.
Ginger and lemon work incredibly well together. They’re both palate cleansers, so each bite feels fresh and glorious and new. Ginger as well as lemon have awesome health benefits which you most likely won’t receive in this recipe, but it is very delicious. Hey this is a dessert.
Ginger is pretty potent so you want to be careful, a little bit goes a long way. Also, you can make lemon bars up to two days in advance. Simply allow them to cool to room temperature and then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- pinch salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Stir flour and salt together and carefully add to butter. Stir until a soft dough starts to form.
- Press dough into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and reduce oven temperature to 325. Let crust cool completely.
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger and flour. Pour over crust. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool completely then cut and top with powdered sugar.