Meatless Monday! A “holiday” I can only seem to celebrate once a quarter…
In every single circumstance I should be grilling. It is finally summer and I have all the tools to get it cracking but unfortunately I don’t know how to grill. Don’t laugh. A.V. does what!?
I spent last summer “pimping” my grill just to leave it unused. Sigh, one day. Since I decided to keep this Memorial day Monday, meatless but wanted to get the feeling of burgers, sandwiches and other tasty grilled food while still wanting Italian food.
The happy medium was Eggplant Parmesan Sliders!
I cut the eggplant into 1/4-1/2″ rounds and dredged in flour, egg, and seasoned cornmeal (by all means use breadcrumbs).
Brush olive oil on top to make it more crispy. Baked the eggplant on a wire rack for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
Spoon marinara sauce on both halves, topped one half with mozzarella, parmesan and dried basil. Repeat twice if you want it to be layered. Bake until melted.
Assemble and enjoy!
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch thick 'rounds'
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 (24-ounce) jar premium pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Splash of Olive Oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dredge the eggplant slices in the flour, dip them in the egg and then into a mixture of the breadcrumbs, parmesan, thyme salt and pepper.
- Brush olive oil on top to make it more crispy.
- Place the eggplant slices on a wire rack on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 450F/220C oven until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Layer mozzarella cheese, parmesan and pasta sauce bake for until melted.